Have you spent the past year sculpting the ultimate suit of Shae Vizla armor? Or have you instead put this time into making certain your Mace Windu lightsaber is the perfect shade of purple? Either way, Star Wars costumers both veteran and amateur are invited to join in an exciting C ostume Masquerade on stage at Star Wars Celebration Europe!
Celebration Europe's Costume Masquerade will be held on the evening of Saturday, July 27th on our main stage in the Grugahalle, will feature the galaxy's greatest finery, and will conclude in a party — the biggest Star Wars bash Europe has ever seen! Please note however that due to limited space, the deadline for Costume Contest submissions was 11:59 PM EST on June 6th.
Costume Masquerade Celebrity Judges
All entries must represent a character or element in the Star Wars universe — including the movies, books, comics, video games, and The Clone Wars. Contestants will be judged solely on the quality of their costumes. All adult contestants will go on stage individually, exhibit two to three poses in different positions on the stage, and then exit, as the emcee reads the entrant's provided costume description. Child entrants may go on stage with a parent or guardian. No speaking or individualization of music is allowed. Star Wars-themed music will play throughout the event. There are no group entries allowed, with a few exceptions being made for groups of same-costumed children only.
The Masquerade is limited to 60 entries. The time limit per participant on stage is approximately one minute (as long as it takes for the emcee to read the participant's description).
Prizes will be awarded based on Judge rankings in each of the following categories: Jedi & Rebels; Empire & Sith; Princesses; Armored Troops; Droids, and Aliens, Creatures & Outer Rim. Please Note: These are the categories currently planned, but the Celebration Europe C ostume M asquerade reserves the right to adjust the categories based on entries received.
Each of Celebration's Judges will select a personal choice for their own, individual favorite costume.
Each Child entrant will receive a Certificate of Appreciation.
Best In Show:
Best In Show will be determined based on audience applause.
Participants in the Costume Masquerade must adhere to the following:
- A contestant may participate in the Masquerade only once. Applicants may register multiple times with multiple costumes, but they will be selected to participate on stage with no more than one costume.
- Single costumes only. Group costumes are not allowed, with the exception of the Child category, detailed below.
- Entrants must provide a written description in English that the emcee will read during their appearance on stage. This may describe the details of the costume or provide a story about the character being portrayed. You may offer details about the construction process, materials, number of work hours, or anything that might impress the Judges and fans. This description is limited to 150 words. Celebration reserves the right to edit introduction material for time and content.
- All contestants must check in for craftsmanship judging on the contest day. Failure to appear at check-in will result in disqualification. Check-in will take place beginning at 11 AM with the location to be announced. A Star Wars Celebration Europe convention badge is required at check-in. You must appear in costume at the time of your check-in. It is encouraged you bring printed visual reference for our Judges, if available, for your character.
- Any item or activity that presents the possibility of damage to the entrants, their costumes, the audience, or the facility is prohibited. No live steel, firearms, projectiles, flash powder, lasers, explosives, or open flame of any kind will be allowed on stage. Please see Celebration's Weapons Policy for further details. Please, also, do not throw objects, even soft ones, into the audience. If you take it on stage, you must take it off stage.
- Please refrain from wearing or using any substances that may potentially interfere with another participant's costume. If you are wearing body paint or make-up, please make sure it will not come in contact with others. Do not leave anything on stage that could damage the other costumes. Do not leave anything on stage at all.
- All costumes should provide enough coverage to be worn in public and should be in good taste and appropriate for a family-friendly show. Gore, graphic violence, or other objectionable elements may be grounds for disqualification as determined by the Judges or Costume Masquerade Staff.
- Entrants are responsible for their own belongings. We are unable to provide a secure area for personal items. We recommend bringing an assistant to help with belongings. A bag check area is available in the convention center.
- Any participant may be disqualified from the contest by Convention Management, Costume Masquerade Staff, or official Costume Judges for failure to observe any of these rules. All decisions made by the Judges are final.
- Pre-fabricated, store-bought costumes cannot compete in the Masquerade. All costumes must be made by the wearer or a fellow fan. Store-bought elements can be incorporated into costumes, but the full costumes cannot have been purchased or rented.
Please note that due to limited space, the deadline for Costume Contest submissions was 11:59 PM EST on June 6th. All entrants must also register for the convention in order to be eligible for the costume contest. A valid Star Wars Celebration Europe badge will be required when you check in.
Child entries will be selected on a first-come, first-served basis. Other registrations will be reviewed upon several categories, including craftsmanship and originality, to provide a balanced showcase. Entrants must provide the link to at least one photo of their costume at the time of their registration. After registration closes, all applications will receive confirmation via e-mail to notify them whether their entry was selected or not by June 20th.
When submitting your Masquerade entry, please select the category which most appropriately reflects your costume. Note, Celebration reserves the right to change your category if we feel your costume is better suited in another division. Note, too, Celebration may alter the numbers, names, and types of categories based on the submissions received. See the below category listings and example costumes which fit in each:
Jedi & Rebels: Luke Skywalker, Ahsoka Tano, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mara Jade, Wedge Antilles
Empire & Sith: Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Darth Sidious, Darth Bane, Asajj Ventress, Grand Moff Tarkin
Princesses: Leia, Amidala
Armored Troops: Clone Troopers, Stormtoopers, ARC Troopers, Republic Commandoes, Boba Fett, Pre Vizsla, Mandalorians
Droids: R2-D2, C-3PO, IG-88, Battle Droid, General Grievous
Aliens, Creatures & Outer Rim: Admiral Ackbar, Jabba The Hutt, Wampa, Tauntaun, Bossk
Child: If an entrant is age 0–13, indicate the Child category on the entry form. This category will be reviewed differently, entries will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, multiple children may participate together as a single entry (allowing siblings or friends to enter the contest without competing against one another), and a parent or guardian may walk out on stage with the entry.
If you have any questions about the Celebration Europe Costume Masquerade, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.